Matthew 4:1-11 - Behind Enemy Lines (Part 1)
Temptation of Jesus
Preached by Andrew Ruth
3 General Truths about Temptation
First, the Devil Tempts, God Tests.
You are most vulnerable to the Devil, when you feel closest to God.
There are no new temptation, only new versions of the same old temptations.
Jesus endured 3 Temptations - the same temptations we endure.
Stones to Bread.
This is the temptation to pleasure myself. This is the temptation to satisfy my desires right now, my way, and not Gods. This is the temptation to believe that God only loves you if you have what you want when you want it how you want it.
Throw yourself off the Temple.
First Satan tempted Jesus with Pleasure, now he tempts him with Proof. Satan says, “If you’re the son of God, prove that God loves you and that God will rescue you, by putting yourself in a stupid, uselessly dangerous situation that God force God to rescue you.”
Bow down and worship me.
This last temptation is the temptation to Promote myself. This is the occult temptation of “The ends justify the means.” Jesus is being tempted to seemingly accomplish the right thing, the wrong way. He is tempted to accomplish God’s goals using the Devil’s methods.
Questions to Guide You:
- Who led Jesus into the desert? Why was Jesus led into the wilderness?
- Who tempts us? How does he tempt us? What does he tempt us to do?
- What did the Devil tempt Jesus with? What happens if he turns stone into bread? Commands angels to carry him in front of Israel? Worships the Devil?
- What did the Devil use to argue with Jesus that he should give in? What did Jesus use to shoot down these temptations?
- How can you be like Jesus when tempted?
- How can Jesus’ temptation and Heb 2:17-18 and Heb 4:15-16 encourage you?
- Jesus is led into the wilderness to be tempted, immediately following an awesome experience of God the Father’s love in baptism. Have you ever experienced temptation after a “mountain top” experience?
- What does 1 Cor 10 promise us in ever temptation?
For a printer-friendly copy of this reading plan, including sample questions to augment your study of Scripture, Download the PDF.