Questions to Guide You:
1. How do the soldiers mock Jesus? Why do you think they mock him?
2. Does Pilate think Jesus is guilty of any crime? Why does Pilate let him be beaten and whipped and mocked? Why does Pilate punish him?
3. Who has power in this story? What kind of power does each Character have? Pilate? The Crowd? The Chief Priests? Jesus?
4. Who is Israel’s True King? Why did Israel reject their True King in the Old Testament? Why are they rejecting Jesus as King here?
5. What does it look like to let God be King? How do we reject Jesus as King too?
6. Do you see any similarities between John 19 and Psalm 22, which was written hundreds of years before Jesus was born?
7. How does the wine Jesus drinks in 19:29 parallel the wine in Ps 75:7-8?
8. What is finished, when Jesus says, “It is finished?”
9. Why do you think Joseph and Nicodemus volunteered to bury Jesus?
For a printer-friendly copy of this reading plan, including sample questions to augment your study of Scripture, Download the PDF.