Questions to Guide You:
- If you took these words as seriously as possible what would it look like? What would it require to live like this?
- When you read these commands/invitations what do they make you feel? Do you naturally want to do them, or do you find yourself looking for exceptions, objections, and loopholes? Why do you think that is?
- What exceptions does Jesus list? What do you make of this?
- Who are your enemies? Name them so you can pray for them.
- What situations are you experiencing right now, where you can choose to seek reconciliation rather than retaliation?
- Do you give money like Jesus says? If not, why not? If so, what gives you the freedom to give generously?
- Why do you think Jesus wants us to give to “everyone who asks?” What benefit do they gain? What benefit do I gain?
- How is obeying these commands an extreme test of faith? Is it possible to live like this if Jesus is not the Savior Lord that saved us from Hell, promises Heaven, and gives the Holy Spirit?
For a printer-friendly copy of this reading plan, including sample questions to augment your study of Scripture, Download the PDF.