Questions to Guide You:
1. How does Jesus respond to his arrest? How do his disciples respond?
2. Why do the soldiers and officials fall down when Jesus says, “I AM”?
3. What assumptions or prejudices do the characters in the story have?
4. What surprised you in the story?
5. Are you surprised by Peter’s behaviors? Why do you think he acted this way?
6. What does Pilate think of Jesus and “truth”? How are Pilate’s questions like those of our time?
7. Who do the Jews want? What does Pilate want? What does Jesus want? What do you want?
8. When you picture the story in your imagination, what emotions are Jesus feeling? What does his face look like as Pilate asks him questions or as the man hits him?
9. In your imagination what are the disciples feeling?
For a printer-friendly copy of this reading plan, including sample questions to augment your study of Scripture, Download the PDF.