Questions to Guide You:
- Why do you think Jesus was baptized, even though he was sinless? Who is he surrounded by in the river? What kind of attitude is this?
- What happens when Jesus comes out of the water? Who are the active parties? How is this similar to “baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit?”
- What does God the Father say to his Son? What does the Father give his Son? These are the same things said to us and given to us by faith?
- In Acts, who is invited to be baptized?
- According to Colossians, what does baptism represent? How is baptism like a funeral? Like a birth?
- Colossians also mentions circumcision, as the old sign of the covenant. What did circumcision do? How is baptism the “new circumcision?”
- When you are baptized and trust in Jesus, God says to you, “This is my child, my beloved, who pleases me greatly.” How does that make you feel? How would you live, if you believed that?
For a printer-friendly copy of this reading plan, including sample questions to augment your study of Scripture, Download the PDF.