Questions to Guide Your Study:
- What do you think John was hearing about Jesus? Why do you think John was confused about Jesus after preaching about Jesus?
- Do you think being in prison affected John’s faith in Jesus? Do your circumstances affect your faith? What did John do? How can you do the same?
- Jesus’ response to John quotes Isaiah 35 and 61. What is Jesus saying? Both passages are about the coming Savior King, so who is Jesus claiming to be?
- What do you think John felt when he heard this reply in jail?
- Who does Jesus say John the Baptist is? Why is that important for Jesus’ identity?
- What have been the major complaints against John and Jesus? How is this ironic? What does this say about the people of Jesus’ time and people in general?
- How do you complain against what Jesus does or doesn’t do? How can you learn to trust his goodness?
- Wisdom is and wisdom does. What does it mean to “act wisely”?
- Daniel 9 is a great prayer of repentance and recommitment? What does it teach us about God? About Humans?
If you are new to reading the Bible and would benefit from a brief orientation, download this How To Use This Book. If you want dig a deeper into the Bible, download this Guide to Inductive Bible Study.