Questions to Guide You:
- In Matt 6:1, Jesus warns us about practicing our religion in front of folks, but in Matt 5:16, he says let your light shine; what’s the difference?
- What assumptions does Jesus make about the role of giving, prayer, and fasting in our lives?
- What are alms? How should we give so that our left hand doesn’t know? To avoid ostentation?
- What do we learn about God and prayer from the Lord’s Prayer?
- How should you act while fasting? Who should know you are fasting?
- 1 Kings 18 and Neh 1 give us OT examples of prayer. What do you notice about how these men pray? Do they pray like Jesus? What relation do you see between fasting and prayer?
- Phil 1 and Col 4 are NT Prayers, pray them for someone in your life.
- Jesus assumes we will do these things. So, what time of day will you regularly pray? Maybe put a reminder in your phone. What day of the month will you give away money to the poor? Maybe put a reminder in your calendar. When will you fast next? Reminder?
For a printer-friendly copy of this reading plan, including sample questions to augment your study of Scripture, Download the PDF.