Questions to Guide You:
- How did the Magi find out about Jesus? Has God ever led you to worship through nature?
- Why do you think Herod and Jerusalem where terrified? Why do you think Herod and the Priests didn’t go with the Magi to Bethlehem? When is it terrifying to hear about King Jesus?
- How did the Magi feel when they found Jesus? What did they do when they found him? Who are human beings supposed to worship?
- How is Jesus’ birth like Moses’ birth (compare Pharaoh and Herod)? What did Moses do for Israel? How will Jesus be like Moses?
- Herod’s murder of the babies is horrible. Stop and pray for those violent places where kids are soldiers, refugees, or murdered? How hard is it to believe that God wants to save a world that kills babies?
- Thinking about the Jesus Star and about Ps 19, what can we learn about God from the world? How does God’s Bible in Ps 19 and Matt 2:6 clarify and go beyond what we learn in Creation?
- What encouragement do Psalm 37 and Psalm 42 give us when we are victims or when we’re just saddened?
For a printer-friendly copy of this reading plan, including sample questions to augment your study of Scripture, Download the PDF.