Weekly Reading Plan on Acts 5-7
DAY 1 – Acts 5:12-16 – Pray for Signs and Wonders
DAY 2 – Acts 5:17-41 – Pray for the Teaching about Jesus to fill JoCo
DAY 3 – Acts 6:1-7 – Pray for Oakland to be faithful to our elderly
DAY 4 – Acts 6:8-15 – Pray for us to be full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom.
DAY 5 – Acts 7 – Pray for bold suffering.
While we are not gathering in our building every week, it is the perfect time to reconsider what is the Church? We’ll start by reading in the book of Acts.
- Before reading, consider the following: what did you learn about church last week? How is social distancing changing your understanding and appreciation of the church?
- The apostles performed many signs and wonders among the people. Do signs and wonders still happen? Should the church perform signs and wonders? Has God every performed a miracle through you? Have you asked him to? Have you given him opportunity to? Have prayed for the sick or bedeviled?
- What do you think about Acts 5:13 and 5:14? How are these both true? What didn’t people dare join the disciples? What were they afraid of? Does this same kind of fear still pervade churches?
- The Sadducees act out jealousy. What have you done because of Jealously? What currently causes you jealously or covetousness or discontent? How can you take that to Jesus instead of sinning?
- How could a Jerusalem be filled with the teaching about Jesus so quickly? Who is doing this teaching? Has to be more than the disciples. Who have you taught about Jesus? How could we fill Cleveland/JoCo with the teaching about Jesus?
- How does Gamaliel’s argument support the validity of the disciples claims? If Jesus were not the messiah, what would have happened?
- “for if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail.” When have you failed by following human wisdom or your best plans? When have churches and Oakland failed by following human wisdom?
- “But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourself fighting against God.” How is this encouraging for believers? What will stop the church on the mission of God? What is God’s will for the Church?
- How long did the church make it before there was complaining? Why does complaining happen in God’s people (Israel in the wilderness and the church in Acts)? Was something actually wrong? Yeah there was. What does this teach us about addressing failures in church? Why will the church fail us sometimes?
- How can you tell if someone is full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom?
- Should we be like Stephen? How? Spend time praying for the same wisdom, Holy Spirit, and boldness that lead Stephen.